Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oops

I subscribe to a fair amount of blogs, and I seem to add more everyday, mostly through cool ideas I see on Pinterest.  And every day as I read through the updates I see all these cool projects created by super talented women out there in blogger land.  Sometimes I try and make things for my own house and most of the time I end up scratching my head in frustration.  Since I have managed to make more mistakes then I ever thought possible I decided my blog would not only showcase everything I do right, but also some of the things that go wrong.  I figure everyone has to start somewhere and I am currently at the very beginning, and if anyone out there can learn from my mistakes, well then maybe some of these mistakes weren't so bad after all.

Oops #1 Homemade Mod Podge
I love Mod Podge, it's glue and finish all in one and with a nice brush you don't see brush strokes like the projects I made in Elementary school.  Well it's expensive,  so I tried the recipe on Pinterest 50/50 water and Elmer's glue. I even measured them parts out.  Well I tried it and the scrapbook paper I was ad hearing to pieces of wood bubbled up on me.  I was super excited about this project too!  Has anyone ever had this issue.  Did I just put it on too think, not give the paper enough time to dry between coats, apply too many coats? In the end I just went with it decided the bubbles give the fall themed paper texture and I  hung the wreath on the wall anyway.  On my next project I used the real stuff and it came out just fine.  Although I'm confused about where I went wrong with glue mix.

Oops #2 Spray Paint with Primer
I am currently working on repainting an old stool.  It's one of those generic white ones with a wooden seat.  I sanded it down enough to get the nicks out and then decided spray paint would be the fastest way to refinish wood.  So I went and got some burgundy spray paint perfect for the picture I had drawn out, it was deep dark burgundy and I was excited to come home and try it.  Now I am applying it to a very light wood with some white left on it so I get the expensive paint with a primer built in so I don't buy a base color.  I set all parts out on news paper and start spaying.  It come out hot pink! Not even red, HOT PINK! Not at all what I was going for.  Now I know the more coats you add the darker it gets but after three and no change I decided to save the can get a dark base coat then start over.  Should I have known better? yes, did I fall for marketing? yes, have I learned my lesson? yes

No comments:

Post a Comment