Well I did some more reading this past weekend and found that the mix of 1 tsp to 8 oz of water doesn't work for everyone. Some people mix up paste and find that it works better. When I started this experiment I had read that some people had a hard time getting the baking soda out of their hair once it was washed, so I went with the dilute mixture. Well 3 weeks in and my hair had not adjusted so it was time for a change.
Today I made a much stronger mixture. It wasn't a paste, but as I washed my hair I could feel the grit of the baking soda against my scalp. This time when my hair dried it was soft and fluffy! I also discovered that I did not work the baking soda into the ends of my hair bc when the ends dried they were still sticky.
I can not tell you how relieved I was to have soft hair again! My plan for the ends is to make the past and get the rest of sticky residue out. I am hoping that by my week 4 update I will have this all figured out!
This is the top of my head with normal looking hair
This is the patch (right about my shoulders) that is still sticky