Thursday, February 28, 2013

Guitar Progress, Heat Guns, They're HOT!

Ssooooo, taking apart a guitar can be a bit of a challenge.  The heat gun worked great, once the glue gets a little hot its pretty easy to pull the pieces apart.  Just a warning though, there is fine line between heating up the glue enough to melt it and causing the paint to bubble up.  Since I will be repainting this guitar I'm not too concerented about the bubbles, but it is extra work because now I have to sand the bubbles smooth.  Also once you set the heat gun down don't bump it, it's still really hot and I have some burns to prove it.  
These are two pieces, I got them apart without damaging either of the pieces.
By the time I had worked all the way around the guitar the glue at the beginning was once again hard, so I went back around the entire edge and reheated the glues enough to pull it off but not so hot I would  burn myself.  

Next I sanded the bubbled paint smooth, and gave the entire body a light sanding to help the new paint stick, and remove any rough edges from the inside.
I forgot to take a picture of the body primeered oops :-(
Here is the body white with floral print

And here is here it is with the outside painted as well



No comments:

Post a Comment