Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

It's no secret I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day, but G is a huge fan of all holidays especially those involving candy, which these days is all of them.  Plus it's that special day to tell that special someone how much you love them with a little more creativity then the rest of the year.  And he really deserves it weather I'm a fan of the holiday or not.

I'm not sure where my dislike of Valentine's Day began, perhaps it was because my birthday is the day before and back when I wanted to celebrate getting older felt like it took the attention away from my day, when I got older it was probably because I didn't have that special someone (anyone who has been there understands how annoying Valentine's Day is when you don't have someone to share it with).

Then I met G, it was month before Valentines Day and when that day came he took me to dinner and gave me flowers, it was perfect.  Then the whirlwind that is the Army happened, and between BCT, AIT, PCSing 2/3 of the way across the country and deploying to Afghanistan I was once again alone on Valentines Day a few years in a row.  My dislike returned, but G remembered even through all of that and sent me flowers for a Birthday/Valentine's Day. I sent him mushy cards and candy.

Now you may be thinking why on Earth am I not a fan of Valentines Day if I get flowers every year? Well I wouldn't be me if I didn't have some weird reason, and I have actually have two. 1 flowers make me sad, I am sentimental and would prefer to get something I can hang onto, I'm not saying this because I want jewelry, I would be plenty happy with a stuffed animal, but every year as the flowers start to die I get sad.  The second reason is the all the marketing out there makes women seem like all they want is candy and jewelry.  This just isn't me, I would much prefer a special day together, a day hike, road trip, or site seeing, but then the candy companies wouldn't make any money right.  Maybe they aren't the best of reasons, but that's just me.

Well that's the end of my ramble, I mentioned before that while I my not be a fan of this particular holiday, I still wanted to do something special for G.  A big thank you to the Dating Divas Website for their cute printable (I didn't end up printing the designs, due to my lack of computer skills) but the sayings were super cute!  The printable can be found on The Dating Divas website  along with tons of other cute Valentine's Day ideas.  Here are the ones I made for G.


No comments:

Post a Comment